Monday, January 30, 2012

Sweet is the memory of past troubles.

Marcus Tullius Cicero once said "Sweet is the memory of past troubles." I have found this to be of the utmost truth. I have come to the point where I look back and see so many wonderful memories then realize that I haven't enjoyed them as much as I could. Here's to reminiscing.


My old Bible Study group used to go camping every year in the Fall. All the kids would bring their bikes and we would ride over these two huge ditches for hours. It was like our own personal roller coaster, but without the safety harness. The second ditch had a tree growing at the top of the riding path. It had huge roots that would send you flying, if you hit them the wrong way.  It was so scary but so invigorating. Next time I go back, I will be taking my bike. If I fall on my face at least it's with good memories. 


Then there was my best friend, Leah. There are so many memories with this girl it is hard to pick just one. Master Hill. Master Hill was Leah's dog. Not really, that's just what we told people when they asked who it was. Really Master Hill was a boy we thought was ridiculously cute and had a crazy crush on.  We had to have a code name, or our childhood wouldn't have been complete!



Leah and I took Clogging lessons together. That's right, clogging. Every Wednesday night our group (including my young at heart mama and sister) would meet at Ms. Nancy's house and dance the night away. We did shows too! We wore these adorable, large blue skirts with bright pink petticoats underneath! Ms. Nancy was brilliant and always kept everything together. Once my mom even got featured in a news article. She was kicking and her leg was above her head. Every year my sister and I would enter the county fair talent show. We actually won a couple times. Once, dancing to Mama Mia by Abba. 



My dad used to 'kidnap' us on Sunday's and make us take these long boring rides as a family. My sister and I always hated it so much. It felt like he was forcing us to give up our child hood. In reality, they were only about a half hour long and were supposed to be nice. My sister and I would always complain and end up being punished with silence.


 
Olivia and Caitlin used to have the best sleep overs. We could stay up until whenever we wanted and we always played practical jokes on each other. At Caitlin's house we would stay on the trampoline eating unlimited amounts of candy from the candy drawer and playing truth or dare. Once, they were chasing me around the house trying to tickle me, but I had to go to the bathroom so bad that when they caught me, I wet myself. I'll refrain from telling the many other 'pee' stories as to save their reputation. Two memories for them though, "McDonalds" and "Hose". 



Then I got  job. I was working as a lifeguard at the local pool. I was SO awkward. Between my huge frizzy hair and my not-so-social skills I somehow managed to have a fun summer working with some wacky people. That's the summer I learned what a gyro was, the summer I started listening to rock music, the summer I started liking boys. I am pleased to say that since then I have learned to (mostly) tame my hair and socialize normally. 

 

Ah, boys. Boys are bad. If you are under 15, boys are bad. Somehow, my sister and I were invited to go to a Trace Adkins concert with a group of friends. I wasn't close to any of them at the time, and I don't remember my sister being close to them either. Alas, we went. When I got there, I was cold. So a boy gave me his jacket. I don't know why, but when a boy gives you his jacket, it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside! 



Fast forward a couple years and I am meeting 'a boy' who lives three hours away. He and his sister met me half way just so we could have lunch. He brought me flowers, my first flowers! Now lets go back to that warm, fuzzy feeling and multiply it by 50. :) I'm proud to say that boy is now my husband.
 

Memories are sweet. It's nice to dig them up and smile about them every now and again. So Now it's your turn. I challenge you to give me a memory of your childhood. Comment below and reminisce. Don't forget, "Sweet is the memory of past troubles." Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Me and a friend used to play Barbie's for hours. Each one had their own story. My friend would always lead the stories. She was a leader and I was a follower. It was always fun though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. Please remember this is a family blog and stay respectful! TIA!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...