Saturday, February 4, 2012

Labor isn't painful


Just kidding! It kinda really is. Truth is, everything will be okay! (Refer to post on Slow Birth) You are about to do the hardest thing you will ever accomplish. Labor is hard, long and painful but afterwards, you feel accomplished and strong. You get this gorgeous baby to call your own.Okay, okay, maybe a little. The 38 weeks and 1 day I was pregnant, I eagerly awaited going into labor. I was anxious to meet my baby but scared of the pain. I think secretly, we all fear labor. We wonder, Am I going to be able to do it? Will I be able to handle the pain?

Here are a few tips that may help you get through the hours (or days) prior to meeting baby:
  • Consider a doula.  Doula's are lovely support people who stick with you no matter what.
  • Yes, it is painful. BUT If you put your mind to it you WILL get through it and it won’t be as bad as you think. Fear is what will mess you up. Don’t be scared, it is natural!
  • Ask for hot packs. They relieve so much pain.
  • Ask for cold packs so you don’t over heat.
  • Try to get as much sleep before hand. It is very tiring and you need that energy when it comes time to push.
  • If you have back labor counter pressure is your friend!
  • If you have a midwife she will work you through everything and it will be less scary and painful.
  • The birth ball is a great natural pain reliever. You can change positions and get comfortable while lessening the pain. Stay out of bed!!!!!!!
  • As said above, STAY OUT OF BED! In bed the contractions are 100x worse, literally. If you keep moving, whether in the shower, on a birth ball or walking it WILL feel better and time will pass faster.
  • Know that being mentally ready to push and feeling the urge to push are two different things. If you don’t feel the overwhelming urge you wont get anywhere.
  • You probably will poop, I did. It really doesn’t matter at that time OR afterwards. Actually, I’m glad I did. It was much easier to go once it was all said and done since I wasn’t backed up. It surprisingly didn’t hurt at all and I think it’s because I pooped during labor. If you are scared to poop just take an enema in early labor.
  • Know that when your water breaks things will get harder but you are that much closer to having a beautiful baby. 
  • Breathe. Shower. Move. Humm. (Yes humm, humming helps relax your body which makes the pain lessen.) All of these things help the pain. You probably wont need pain medicine because YOU are STRONG. You can do this. 
After labor you may feel the ‘baby blues’ or post partum depression. It happens to a lot of women. You may want to consider acupuncture. This surprisingly can help. :)  Good luck ladies and remember, relax! It will be ok.

As for the family, husband, or anyone else who will be in the birthing room... this is the most amazing and wonderful experience the mama will ever have. Support her in what she wants. If she opens up and welcomes you in, you are so lucky to be there! Cherish every moment. Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. I can definitely say that this post was on point! Great tips :-) I also had a natural birth albeit in the hospital. Using the excuse I had to go to the bathroom I was able to move alot during labor. When I was ready to push I was in the bed but fortunately for me my pushing part lasted only 15 minutes before my son was born.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I'm sure the wait was worth it :D

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. Please remember this is a family blog and stay respectful! TIA!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...